Write your winning Love Story and win $100.
Complete Details and Guidelines below:
Love Story Non-Fiction Essay Contest
Subject: Love Story – of any type: mate, child, pet, place
Deadline: Midnight, EST February 28, 2021
1st Place: $100 and post on Wise Women & Words Facebook Group and shared by Susan Sparks and ASAP Writing Services on LinkedIn and Instagram
2nd Place: $50 and post on Wise Women & Words Facebook Group and shared by Susan Sparks and ASAP Writing Services on LinkedIn and Instagram
3rd Place: $25 and post on Wise Women & Words Facebook Group and shared by Susan Sparks and ASAP Writing Services on LinkedIn and Instagram
Terms & Conditions
- All decisions made by the judges regarding the winners are final
- No contest entry fees will be returned
- By submitting, you are agreeing to all contest rules
- Contest rules are subject to change
Entry $5 – The entry fee is not a reading fee. All fees are used solely and purely for award money, prizes, promotion, and administrative costs. To enter this contest, you must pay an entry fee.
Entry plus critique $20
Pay through PayPal, then put receipt # or transaction number in the email subject line (instructions follow below)
- Word count:
Your Essay MUST have a title. The title is not to be counted in your word count. MS Word’s word count will be used to determine the submitted entry’s word count.
- Format: Submit in MS Word (No pdfs or Google Docs PLEASE) No fancy fonts, use Times New Roman, or Calibri, 12 point, double space, do not indent paragraphs. No colored or highlighted text. Just basic black text on white background.
At the END of your essay, please type on the left hand side the following information:
- Your name.
- Your e-mail address; you may submit more than one to be on the safe side.
- Your city/state or country.
- Telephone number where we will most likely be able to reach you. Just in case you win and we can’t reach you via e-mail.
- Word count—this does not include your title, name or your personal contact information. We use MS Word to verify the word count of your essay.
- Your unique PayPal Transaction ID or receipt number, which is your confirmation number for payment.
- Submission: Only one submission per title. We accept only one submission per email. Rewrites are not accepted—meaning, once you’ve sent your essay in, you cannot revise the same essay and send it in again under the same payment.
If you revised your essay during the time of the contest and would like to submit the new edited and updated version, you must go through the entry process again and submit another payment. Why? Because your essay has most likely already been submitted for judging.
Judging based on:
You will be provided with your scores (1-5) in each category, and personal editorial feedback as well If purchased. Critiques will be sent out after the contest winners are announced.
- Turning in your submission LATE! That means we would have received it AFTER 11:59 PM on the deadline date.
- We will reject any submission that MS Word counts under 200 words or above 1000 words. THIS DOES NOT COUNT THE TITLE OF YOUR ESSAY OR YOUR PERSONAL CONTACT INFORMATION AT THE END OF YOUR ESSAY.
- You didn’t pay for your contest entry. You must pay $5 for the entry fee or $20 for entry fee plus critique.
- You sent your essay to the wrong email or you didn’t send your essay in. Please send only to:
THE ACT OF ENTERING THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND ASAP WRITING SERVICES, that you agree to every one of the GUIDELINES concerning subject, word count, format, and submission.
Please note: Critique option must be purchased at the time of entry. This allows us to verify which piece you are receiving a critique for. Please choose your option carefully. We do not issue refunds.
Why should I enter the contest?
Contests provide writers with challenges, including a deadline, word count limitation, and editing practice. Writing an entry for a contest means more practice with writing, proofing, and editing.
To whom should I target my writing? Who is my audience of readers?
Gear your writing toward women readers.
How long should my entry be?
Entries must be a minimum of 200 words to a maximum of 1000 words. The word count does NOT include your title.
Who is eligible for the contest?
Any person on the planet who can submit their entry in English, via our online means, is
eligible to enter.
Can I submit a piece I wrote for another publication that’s posted online?
Yes, you can submit a piece you wrote for another publication as long as you own the copyrights to the essay.
Can I submit a piece I self-published and is available for sale?
Yes, you can submit an essay you’ve self-published.
What is the entry fee?
$5.00 per entry, per e-mail.
What is the critique fee?
An additional $15.00 for a critique, per entry, per e-mail. $20 total.
How do I pay for my entry?
Click on the “Buy Now” button. It will take you to PayPal. From there you have two options: 1. Pay with PayPal (If you have an account, choose this option); 2. If you don’t have a PayPal account, pay by credit or debit card (If you’d rather not create a PayPal account, you can pay by credit card with that option). Save the “transaction number” and place in the Subject Line of your email as you submit your essay to WiseWomenWords@gmail.com
Can I enter more than once?
Yes, but please submit each entry in a new e-mail with a new PayPal Transaction ID or Receipt number at the bottom, to facilitate tracking and organization. You can enter as many times as you like as long as you follow the guidelines.
Is it possible for someone to win more than once for different pieces in the same contest?
Yes, we’ve had writers place twice in the same contest. We judge by the essay and remove all contact information before sending stories to the guest judges of the season; so the guest judges may think two (or more) essays are worthy of placing, no matter if they’re written by the same author.
I live outside the United States, can I enter?
Yes! However contest entries must be submitted in English and via our online means.
What do you mean by “blind judging”?
Blind judging means we remove all your contact info (name, e-mail address, address, city, state, phone number, etc.) before we send your entry to our judges. This is to ensure fairness; so that all essays are judged equally. The only thing we might include is the country where the writer is from. This is so our judges will overlook spelling differences
Does the entry have to be a complete essay, or can it be a partial/chapter of a larger work like a memoir?
If your piece is part of a larger work just make sure it can stand on its own.
How are winners notified?
You’ll receive an email notification before the results are announced on Wise Women & Words Facebook Group.
Will you notify me if I don’t win?
You won’t be notified directly, but will see the results on the Wise Women & Words Facebook Group page.
Checklist for entry:
- Essay has a title
- Word Count is between 200 and 1000 words
- Format is MS Word
- Times New Roman, Calibri or similar plain font
- No highlighting or fancy fonts
- Double Space
- No paragraph indent
- Name and other identifying information is on the left side at the END of the essay
- Payment has been made through PayPal and transaction number is included in email
- Essay and PayPal transaction number has been emailed to: WiseWomenWords@gmail.com
Deadline: Midnight, EST February 28, 2021